Grilled salmon and charred cucumber salad
- 4 4-oz fillets salmon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 cucumbers thoroughly rinsed and seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 cup corn kernels drained and rinsed
- 1/2 leek thoroughly rinsed and sliced into thin rounds
- 1 lime juiced
- 1/4 cup mint leaves chopped
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash pepper
- About 20 minutes before grilling, remove salmon from refrigerator and start heating the grill to high.
- Cut cucumbers in half lengthwise.
- Meanwhile, either on the grill in a cast iron OR on a stove top heat sesame oil. Once hot, gently lay cucumbers flesh side down and sear. The idea is to get a nicely charred edge. You may need to work in batches; set each aside as they are finished cooking.
- Once finished with the cucumber, add 1/2 the olive oil and sauté cumin, curry, corn kernels, and leek. Adjust seasonings as desired. Remove from heat when leeks become translucent and warmed.
- Cut cucumbers into half moons, ½” thick and toss in the corn mixture. Add fresh lime juice and mint leaves. Set aside.
- Brush the salmon steaks with remaining olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on grill for 5-7 minutes, flipping once until it is cooked through.
- Serve salmon with charred cucumber
Calories: 319 kcal
Carbohydrate: 16 g
– Added sugar: 0 g
– Fiber: 2.82 g
Protein: 27 g
Total fat: 18 g
Recipe by Ranelle Kirchner, Chef RDN